Meet Walter & Gregory
Moving to Dunedin right before the 5th grade in 1974, Gregory has lived in Dunedin for 43 years for the past 21 years with his Husband Walter.. In those earlier days the downtown was full of nothing but memories of a business district of the past. The indoor malls pretty much had killed these small downtowns.
Then to the surprise of everyone in the sleepy little town, Dennis Dallape changed the format of the dingy little bar, known as Blur now, to a gay bar. It was an instant success and where Gregory would begin his now 32 year career in downtown that was 1984. This began the resurgence of Main Street downtown bringing many new young entrepreneurs like Virgel Kelly, the founder of Kelly’s.
When the city started it’s redevelopment efforts with the Downtown Technical Advisory Board (Now the CRA), Gregory saw the need for the business people in the community to be involved and he became an appointed member to the CRA Advisory Board in 1992.
As the changes began to happen, most significantly the moving of State Road 580 off of Main Street downtown and onto Skinner, the need to have a voice for the merchants evolved and Gregory founded, with several other business owners, the Downtown Dunedin Merchants Association (DDMA), now in it’s 28th year.
They began with a Mardi Gras event to drive people to town and today they produce most of the large signature events downtown. Gregory lives downtown in another property he, along with his Husband Walter, owns in the CRA district, as well as the Salon GW building at the Pinellas Trail and Main Street. Gregory and Walter are planning to duplicate some of these downtown efforts in Guanacaste Costa Rica in the near future and open a business there as well.
Some other facts :
- “Wearable Art “ Hair and Make-up Team for over 12 Years for the Dunedin Fine Art Center
- Hair and Makeup Team for Fashion Week Tampa Bay
- Editorial work in Bay Magazine, Tampa Bay Magazine, Canadian Life, Brazils’ Elle, Destinations Publications
- On location in the US and abroad for photo shoots and fashion shows
- Touring with several premium hair, skincare and makeup brands for the Premier and American Beauty shows nationwide as a platform artist
- He has trained under the creator and owner of Sebastian International, LOX Extensions and L’Oreal Professional brands.
Gregory is the one of the founders of and currently serves as Executive Director of the Downtown Dunedin Merchants Association
• A member of the Dunedin Chamber of Commerce since 1993
• Founding chair of the Arts and Cultural Advisory Board for the City of Dunedin
• Current member of the CRA (Community Redevelopment Advisory Committee) for the City of Dunedin – for 20+ Years
• Alumni of the Pinellas Leadership Class of 2007, Served on the Executive Board for 4 years after graduation.
• Member of Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and Equality Florida and Founder of North Pinellas Pride
• Works with different art based charities by hosting a bi -annual fundraising events including Beauty Meets Art, a awareness-raiser for many forms of art.
- Youngest recipient of the Dunedin Historical Society’s History Maker Award.
Salon GW Stylists
Stylist / Salon Manager
Andi is a passionate and versatile stylist and makeup artist with over 6 years of experience. She enjoys transforming clients and models at photo shoots, runway shows and at the Home Shopping Network, and she would love to transform you! Andi specializes in women’s coloring and cutting techniques.
Stylist / Salon Coordinator
Aubrey is a self-proclaimed professional. Watching every detail, re-educating and learning her craft to ensure her guests the newest and on trend styles. Aubrey specializes in color techniques such and balayage, highlighting, and fashion colors. She also specializes in styling techniques such as braiding and updos. Makeup is another passion of hers allowing her to enhance the natural beauty of her guests and also create fun and dramatic looks. “When you look beautiful, you feel beautiful. That’s the kind of happiness I try to give women every day.”
Mia is a professional stylist that specializes in all hair textures. She prides herself with having a strong knowledge of hair care, and maintains a balance between health and beauty. With 10 years in the beauty industry, she is passionately gifted and creative in the area of precision color and haircut techniques and has developed an eye for individuality for a guaranteed professional finish.
Nicole has had a passion for the hair and beauty industry most of her adult life. She has been licensed for more than 7 years. In that time she has mastered a wide range of hair cutting and styling techniques. Nicole believes in continued education and strives to stay at the forefront of her field, mastering these looks for her clients.
For over 30 years Mary Knaus has been creating beauty. Her great listening skills and superior and on-going education provide long lasting client relationships. Mary excels in precision haircutting, coloring, balayage, foiling techniques and color matching and blending.