Part 1 in my 5 part series on summer curl care begins with the pre-shampoo oil rinse, or more commonly known as a pre-poo regimen. This is a hair staple curly girls live by especially when moisture becomes an issue. Remember, moisturized curls yield healthy hair and growth! So let’s get to it…
The night prior to shampooing, follow these steps:
- Lightly dampen hair with water. I use a spray bottle with water infused with lavender essential oil.
- Use olive oil, unrefined/virgin coconut oil, or avocado oil to moderately saturate your strands from root to tip. These three oils penetrate the hair shaft, and will most beneficial.
- Tie up your hair with a silk or satin scarf/bonnet to protect strands overnight.
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo, and cleanse up to two times to remove excess oils. Follow with conditioner, and hair styling regimen.
- Let the oil penetrate for a minimum of an hour.
- Wear a terrycloth headband to prevent dripping.
- Add essential oils such as lavender, ylang-ylang, and/or tea tree/peppermint to, for additional moisture benefits.
Now that you have beautiful moisturized curls, stay tuned for tips on how to maintain that moisture.
@MiaKauffman #salongw #naturalhair #naturalista